Monday, May 26, 2014

The Unprepared Beauty Queen

In 1996 I participated in something called Miss Michigan Pre-Teen. (I would like to point out that while this sounds like a beauty pageant, it was not. It was a scholarship program.)

I made it all the way to the semi-finals, but it turns out I wasn't Pre-Teen Sr. Queen material, which is a bummer because that trophy was bitchin'. I was however, the most talented little scholarship contestant,  and I proved this by winning the talent portion of the competition.

For my talent, I tumbled out onto the stage with a roundoff two backhandsprings, sat down at the piano positioned in the corner, and played a little Beethoven. Not to toot my own horn, but they would have had to have been deaf, dumb, and blind not to crown me the winner.

I hadn't thought about this in over 10 years, until recently when I dreamt I was in a similar situation as an adult. Backstage, I was presented with two options: either put together a gymnastics floor routine, or play a long forgotten piano piece from memory. I was given three minutes to decide and then sent out onto the stage. I awoke with feelings of unpreparedness and dread that were almost palpable.

Which makes me wonder, what is my subconscious trying to tell me? What am I dreading and unprepared for? Whatever the case, I'm sure I'll prevail. I am after all, Miss Michigan Pre-Teen 1996 talent division champion.