Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Important Things

I was fortunate enough to be living in Chicago in 2008 when Barack Obama was elected as the United States' first ever African American President. I, along with three of my Northwestern University frisbee frat cohorts and an estimated 240,000 fellow Chicagoans headed down to Grant park to hear his victory speech. Politics aside, it was one of the most important things I've ever witnessed.

Another important thing witnessed that evening: My terrible hairdo.

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

Cheesy cheezy cheese. I have goosebumps. 

We found a spot nestled near the back, and once Obama finally took the stage he was just a small distant blob who I assumed must be Obama. But he's not important. The speech he gave wasn't important. The camaraderie and energy of the crowd wasn't important. 

This was important:

It's a fuzzy picture taken on a shitty camera phone, but you get the point. This American flag waving ten year old girl gets to grow up in a world where it's possible for her to aspire to whatever she's willing to work for. That's what the night was about. Possibilities. Important possibilities. Even thinking about it now gives me that ooey gooey feeling.