Monday, May 13, 2013

The Emily Dickinson/Gilligan's Island Connection

This morning I learned from a coworker that nearly all of Emily Dickinson's poetry can be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island.


Isn't that just the greatest thing you've ever heard?
 
//

I died for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who dies for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed?
"For beauty," I replied.
"And I for truth - the two are one;
We bretheren are," he said.

And so, as kinsmen met a-night,
We talked between the rooms,
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names. 

//

I heard a fly buzz when I died;
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air
Between the heaves of storm. 


The eyes beside had wrung them dry,
And breaths were gathering sure
For that last onset, when the king
Be witnessed in his power. 


I willed my keepsakes, signed away
What portion of me I
Could make assignable, and then
There interposed a fly, 


With blue, uncertain, stumbling buzz,
Between the light and me;
And then the windows failed, and then
I could not see to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment